Threshold Amount to Report Accident to DMV Increase

Currently, if you have been involved in an accident with $750 or more in property damage or a personal injury, you must report the accident to the California DMV within 10 days.  This is pursuant to Vehicle Code 16000.

Vehicle Code 16000:

(a) The driver of a motor vehicle who is in any manner involved in an accident originating from the operation of the motor vehicle on a street or highway, or is involved in a reportable off-highway accident, as defined in Section 16000.1, that has resulted in damage to the property of any one person in excess of seven hundred fifty dollars ($750), or in bodily injury, or in the death of any person shall report the accident, within 10 days after the accident, either personally or through an insurance agent, broker, or legal representative, on a form approved by the department, to the office of the department at Sacramento, subject to this chapter. The driver shall identify on the form, by name and current residence address, if available, any person involved in the accident complaining of bodily injury. (b) A report is not required under subdivision (a) if the motor vehicle involved in the accident was owned or leased by, or under the direction of, the United States, this state, another state, or a local agency. (c) If none of the parties involved in an accident has reported the accident to the department under this section within one year following the date of the accident, the department is not required to file a report on the accident and the driver’s license suspension requirements of Section 16004 or 16070 do not apply. (d) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2017, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2017, deletes or extends that date.


Effective January 1, 2017, this law has changed.  You now have to report the accident within 10 days to the DMV if you have been involved in an accident with bodily injury or property damage of $1000 or more.  They raised the minimum reporting threshold an extra $250.  In order to actually report an accident to the DMV, you would submit an SR-1 form.

Sacramento Auto Accident Attorney Michael Rehm is available for free consultations at (916) 476-9781.