Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer
Free consultations – (916) 476-9781
Personal Injury litigation is related to the law of torts. The definition of a tort has evolved over time, but in short, it is a legal wrong that is caused by the intentional or negligent acts of another that causes a legal injury. Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer Michael Rehm represents the following torts:
(1) Negligence – For any action based on negligence, and this is the cause of action an overwhelming majority of automobile accident cases will be based, the plaintiff must show:
a. A legal duty to use due care;
b. A breach of that duty;
c. A reasonably close connection between the breach of that care and resulting injury; and
d. Loss or damage to the plaintiff.
The tort of negligence is related to not only accidents as pointed out above, but also can be the main cause of action in matters related to:
a. Medical Malpractice;
b. Premises Liability – failure to provide adequate security, etc.
c. Elder Abuse; and
d. Any Breach of Fiduciary Duty.
Negligence is a major theme throughout personal injury litigation and an understanding of this tort is necessary for any Personal Injury Litigator.
(2) Physical Torts –these are also referred to as intentional torts, where the tort is not negligence, but the intentional acts of another that causes injury. Examples of physical torts include: Assault and Battery, Stalking, and False Arrest.
(3) Products Liability – a manufacturer or seller can be liable for the products the products they put into the marketplace. There are different standards under which the manufacturer or seller can be held liable, these include negligence, and strict liability.
(4) Defamation – this includes libel and slander.
(5) Animal Torts – this includes Dog Bite litigation.
(6) Governmental Tort Liability
(7) Wrongful Death – This is governed by California Code of Civil Procedure 377.60. It in essence allows the decedents successors in interest and dependents an ability to bring suit for a person’s death caused by the wrongful act or neglect of another.
This list is not exhaustive. There are many more torts and causes of actions that Sacramento Accident Attorney Michael Rehm provides representation on. This list is meant to give insight into how connected the law of torts is and what kind of issues may arise in these cases. To determine whether you or a family member have a case, contact Michael Rehm for a free consultation at (916) 476-9781.